If you haven’t tried purple potatoes, you are in for a real treat. These gorgeous culinary treasures are native to South America where they have long been cherished for their delicious flavor, disease resistance, and ability to survive in harsh environments. Unlike most white-fleshed varieties, purple potatoes also pack a powerful nutritional punch due to their significant concentration of antioxidants and higher fiber content.
For this recipe, dark purple potatoes and rich golden beets are combined for a truly regal effect. It should be noted, however, that the exposed potato flesh turns brown while roasting. For best visual results, slice the vegetables at least ½” thick and carefully remove the browned outer skins before serving. (Don’t discard! The crispy browned layer tastes delicious).
This extra step takes a little more time, but you will be rewarded with a vibrant purple hue that will elevate your salads or side dishes from basic to extraordinary!
For the citrus salt, I use Borsari Seasoned Sale – Citrus Blend from Amazon.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 purple potatoes, peeled and cut into ½” slices
- 2 large golden beets, peeled and cut into ½” slices
- 1 T. citrus (or kosher) salt
- 8-10 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and stems discarded (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a glass bowl, toss the sliced potatoes and beets with the olive oil.
- Arrange coated vegetable slices in a single layer, leaving space between them. Sprinkle with citrus (or kosher) salt and thyme leaves. Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven and roast about 15 minutes before turning. Continue baking another 10-15 minutes or until beets and potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before handling. Remove browned potato skins before serving to reveal the gorgeous color underneath.
- Serve as a side dish or add to your favorite mixed green salad for a bold splash of color.